Manage the warehouse and distribution functions at our Brentwood Long Island facility. Reduce delivered costs, improve customer service and enhance competitiveness consistent with US Alliance Paper goals. Assist in the planning, development and implementation of transportation programs and systems maximizing synergies for the company. Continue to promote a non-union environment.
- Supervise site warehouse, distribution, and receiving staff.
- Manage equipment utilization to ensure lowest freight expense and minimized transit damage.
- Develop management and technical skills for all distribution department personnel.
- Support employee involvement and assume leadership role in developing positive work environment.
- Communicate effectively with distribution staff and other site personnel.
- Partner with customers solve both internal and external distribution issues. Seek cooperative solutions to issues.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all raw material and finished goods inventories.
- Responsible for conducting physical inventories as needed.
- Assist in the annual transportation procurement process to ensure that site operational, equipment, & service needs are met.
- Ensure freight savings and lane assignment goals of bid are met.
- Help develop and monitor Distribution key performance indicators (KPIs) to ensure goals are met.
- Recommend carrier and operational changes as needed to meet company goals.
- Administer freight damage & overcharge claims.
- Ensure all monthly sales (cases) are shipped by month end.
- Evaluate inbound transportation opportunities for maintenance, repairs and operational supplies. Provide recommendations to Purchasing for reduced costs.
- Negotiate warehouse service agreements.
- Implement continuous improvement and lean principles throughout your areas of responsibility as well as participating across the site.
- Provide support for Customer Service Reps, Marketing and Sales.
- Assist Sales in the implementation of warehouse programs needed to maintain competitive market position and customer service.
- Assist and support strategic planning, carrier negotiations, and financial analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of the site¡¦s Distribution budget.
- Audit invoices for services from warehouse providers.
- Lead the safety effort for the distribution area.
- Perform safety investigations as needed.
- Maintain a clean and orderly environment conducive to safe work habits.
- Encourage employee accountability.
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelors degree in business or related field preferred.
- Minimum five years experience in the Transportation and Logistics field, preferably in the forest products industry.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience.
- Ideal candidate will have understanding of all aspects of transportation/distribution, including motor, rail, intermodal, LTL, export and warehouse operations.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word and Excel. Previous experience in a production management system preferred. Prism, JDE and Elixir experience a plus.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have proven leadership skills.
- Must have excellent organizational, planning and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to multitask in a fast paced production environment.
- Spanish speaking a plus.
Working Conditions - Essential Physical Requirements:
- Office environment, but exposed to hot, dusty, humid, noisy mill environment.
- Some exposure to ladders and heights.
- Must be physically capable of standing and climbing for trailer, container, vessel and crane inspections.
- Must be able to walk in and around warehouse aisles and equipment for warehouse review.
- Must be able to wear required personal protective equipment in industrial environment.
- Able to read and interpret written materials.